Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fright Night 2011

That's right boys and girls, welcome to "Fright Night"!

I personally am a fan of the original 1985 film, and hoped that the 2011 remake would do it justice... and guess what? I did, at least in my opinion. It is the perfect mix of thrills and giggles, and maybe even better then the original. But to be totally honest with you there really is no comparing the two. The films only share a few things and those being their title, character names, and main plot. Other then that they are two different movies, so much so that I have a difficult time calling the 2011 flick a remake. Maybe a retooling would be a better term. Let me put it this way, the 2011 "Fright Night" has more fangs.

Colin Ferrell gives a good performance as the menacing vampire Jerry, and Anton Yelchin was the perfect choice for the lead role Charley Brewster. Yelchin really brought Charley to life, and made him believable and lovable. But I think the break-out performance in the movie came from David Tennant as a much darker and deeper Peter Vincent. Tennant brought Peter Vincent to a new level, and really made you love and hate the character at the same time. I know that is conflicting, but that is Peter Vincent... isn't it? Last but not least I have to give a hand to Imogen Poots whom played the role of Charley's out-of-his-league girlfriend Amy.

I am only going to give one spoiler for those of you that have not yet seen the film, and that is to watch for Chris Sarandon (the original Jerry Dandrige), who makes a cameo in the film and becomes a quick snack for Ferrell.

The box office for the film was surprisingly low, coming in at a little over $37 million, on a $30 million budget. But don't let that fool you, "Fright Night" 2011 is well worth your time to watch. It is pure entertainment at it's best. I know for one that I will be watching it again and again, and again.

I have no choice but to give Fright Night 2011 a grand total of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment